The E5 shaping masterclass is a deep-dive into shaping sourdough. We will be focusing on specific skills and techniques for making a variety of different breads, from a rustic, free-form loaf, similar to our beloved Stockholm, to Southern French fougasse and the elusive sourdough baguette. We will use a single dough made solely using UK stoneground flour (including our freshly-milled e5 heritage wheat) to demonstrate how the shaping method that is used can create wildly different results. During the day we will discuss how shaping relates to fermentation, flour choice and baking approach.
As this class is highly focused on one aspect of the bread making process you will need to have some prior sourdough baking experience. Specifically: a working knowledge and understanding of sourdough, including starter maintenance, creating a leaven and managing the fermentation; alongside some confidence with basic bread-making processes such as shaping, bulk fermentation and final prove.
Bring a big bag and tell your neighbours to expect a bread delivery, you’ll be going home with arms full!
- Batârd (think our Hackney Wild)
- Large free-form loaf (think our Stockholm)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- What is gluten and how can it vary?
- How and why do we shape bread?
- How do different approaches to shaping influence bread?
- How does fermentation affect the type of shaping you might choose?
- How do shaping and baking interplay?
- How do different flours and doughs affect shaping?
You'll be going home with an e5 tote bag, scraper and 4 types of breads.
The afternoon includes bread & butter on arrival and coffee, tea and freshly baked cakes & cookies in the afternoon. Please note, since this is an afternoon class lunch is not provided.
You’ll also get 10% off in our shop if you’d like to buy any additional baking equipment, cookbooks or organic produce to take home.
Class size is limited to 10 people.
We also run bespoke group classes which can be tailored to your personal requirements. Contact us via email or call us on on 0208 525 2890 for more information.
The closest station is London Fields or Hackney Central (both Overground stations). There are permit holder parking restrictions on the surrounding streets between 8.30am - 6.30pm Monday to Friday, there should be available parking outside of these times.
Cancellation - We appreciate that there will be circumstances whereby you will need to change the date of your booking, please give us as much notice as possible in order for us to refund or transfer your booking.
- Bookings cancelled more than 14 days prior to the start of a course will be refunded or alternatively you may transfer to another date free of charge.
- Bookings cancelled within 14 days of the date of a course are non-refundable and non-transferable, the only exception being if we are able to refill your place. If we are able to do so you may transfer to another date.
- Refunds cannot be issued on any unattended classes without prior notice.